Sunday 1 December 2013

Book covers

My last brief was on book covers, I had to choose a fiction and a non-fiction book from a selection of a few and create covers for them (and an inside illustration for either of them).

I chose 'The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry' by Rachel Joyce and 'Faviken' by Magnus Nilsson.
Both sounded interesting in their own ways.


I'm not happy with this one, at first I felt I was spending too much time on Harold Fry, because I'd been reading the book and gathering more ideas for it, so I decided to concentrate on Favkien for a while. However once I got the idea to make it all out of paper, it began to take a while to put together. Eventually when I was happy with my cover for Faviken, I found I had little time to create a cover I'd be happy with for Harold Fry.
Worse still, I didn't make a final, presentable illustration for it either, so I'm going to revisit this part of the brief to improve on it.

I feel a lot happier with this cover. I had fun making it and I received good feedback on it, most problems were technical or easily changed. I've fixed a few things that I discovered on printing but I've yet to re-edit the original scans so that there's no quality loss (the background was pixelated).

No comments:

Post a Comment