Sunday 1 December 2013

Some Saul Bass

Not happy with my book cover for 'The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry' so I've put down some ideas quickly, inspired by Saul Bass's style. These are more glorified thumbnails rather than final products. For the time being.

I began by drawing vectors from some of my development work, illustrations of the character. With these I played around with them on illustrator with various text, colours and compositions, adding new images to use as you can see below.









These last two are references to a character in the book who is the catalyst of Harold's pilgrimage, she gives him the idea that having faith, a belief in something can be more powerful force than more logical/scientific approaches. Not a religious belief, just a personal one. So I thought with the use of her red tabard and a speech bubble under the word 'pilgrimage' was a clever approach to illustrating this.

I also found this funny tumblr which scrutinizes many Bass inspired works.
It makes me feel bad for making these now.

No comments:

Post a Comment